Council on Inclusion and Diversity Leadership
We Can and Must Do More to End Racial Injustice
George Floyd. Breonna Taylor. Ahmaud Aubery.
The latest in a tragic long line. We are disheartened that our society continues to fall short in recognizing the unique experiences of people of color. These are extremely difficult times for our entire country. We all need to do more to address systemic oppression and work harder to bring about positive change. As a law firm, we stand committed to moving the dialogue forward. We are deeply committed to taking meaningful action to work toward equal justice for all.
Across our country, collective support is needed now more than ever to break through deep-rooted biases and prejudices that have historically hindered equality for so long. There are hopeful signs. The death of George Floyd has deepened the conversation on race and racism in America across a wide range of communities. The current outrage is calling for actions that perhaps can finally accomplish true and lasting change. As an organization, we want to be part of these conversations and actively participate in achieving change. As a law firm, we stand committed to moving the dialogue forward within our organization and the communities we serve and to making change.
We can and must do more. We are all better for it.
OUR COMMITMENT TO INCLUSION AND DIVERSITY
Honesty, sincerity, openness and fairness are the building blocks of integrity. By embracing these values and holding ourselves to the highest levels of personal and professional behavior in all our relationships, we have earned the trust and respect to become a firm our clients rely upon as a trusted ally.
Our culture of understanding, compassion and respect for each other naturally carries through to our relationships with our clients. Harris Beach believes in the fundamental dignity of each individual and every employee is valued for their unique experiences and perspectives. The rich diversity of our workforce, which reflects the communities we serve, enhances our work environment and the legal solutions we provide our clients. We listen to others and are responsive when others need assistance.
We value the unique skills of each individual at Harris Beach and strategically leverage our broad knowledge base to build dedicated, interdisciplinary, problem-solving teams that are greater than the sum of their parts. Bringing our best team thinking to bear for our clients allows us to understand and anticipate their challenges, and provide breakthrough solutions.
Applied ingenuity is the impetus of our success at Harris Beach. We value and reward creativity and innovation, and provide our professionals with an entrepreneurial yet collegial atmosphere where we take our work, but not necessarily ourselves, seriously. This environment gives rise to the free flow of ideas which we transform into forward thinking client solutions.
Harris Beach recognizes everyone has a right to be included. By respecting and embracing our differences, we create an environment that optimizes our talent and promotes fresh thinking and innovative solutions that exceed client expectations. Sharing experiences from our diverse backgrounds increases the quality of everyone’s contributions, enhancing the services we provide.
PRACTICES AND PROGRAMS
Law School Prep Program
Legal Diversity Clerkship Program
Diversity of Practice
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Ongoing Inclusion and Diversity Education
Harris Beach’s inclusion and diversity recognition and awards include the:
- Puerto Rican Bar Association’s Law Firm Diversity Award
- HR Excellence Award in the diversity excellence category from the Buffalo Niagara Human Resources Association
- Employer Support Freedom Award from the Secretary of Defense – the Department of Defense’s highest award given to civilian employers
- Rochester Black Bar Association’s Diversity Recognition Award for its committed participation, support and leadership in the Rochester Legal Diversity Clerkship Program
- Family Friendly Employer Award from the Greater Rochester Association for Women Attorneys and the Monroe County Bar Association
Firm attorneys have received the following inclusion and diversity recognition and awards:
- Harris Beach Managing Partner Thomas J. Garry, Uniondale office, named to Franklin H. Williams Commission, which advises state leaders on racial and ethnic fairness in New York courts.
- Harris Beach CEO James A. Spitz Jr., the Profiles in Diversity Journal CEO Leadership in Action Award™, recognizing CEOs who fully support their organizations’ inclusion and diversity initiatives
- Harris Beach Partner H. Todd Bullard received the State University of New York at Buffalo Law School Students of Color Distinguished Alumni Award and the Rochester Black Bar Association’s Trailblazer Award