As a registered pharmacist, Rick’s practice includes a range of experience in pharmaceutical, medical device, biotechnology, nutritional supplement, mass tort and complex health care litigation. Rick has served as national, regional and local counsel for numerous pharmaceutical, medical device and other life science companies. He most recently served as national coordinating defense counsel for New England Compounding Pharmacy in the compounding pharmacy fungal contamination MDL, and has been national counsel for the three medical device manufacturers in the U.S. and Canadian infusion pain pump litigation, multi‑district Fen‑Phen class action suit, a nutritional supplement manufacturer in the ephedra litigation, and two chemical manufacturers in the IBM clean room litigation. He has also served as regional and document counsel for a recall of an anti-arrhythmic pharmaceutical coordinated in an MDL, regional liaison counsel for all generic drug defendants in the New Jersey state court metoclopramide (Reglan) litigation, silicone breast implant litigation, prohormone products, Bendectin and latex gloves litigation, and various other industry‑wide litigation such as PPA, thimerosal, blood products, and hip implants. Rick’s clients include a number of Fortune 100 pharmaceutical and chemical manufacturers, medical device manufacturers, nutritional supplement manufacturers and distributors, biotechnology companies, compounding pharmacies, health care entities including New York state counsel for the nation’s largest long term care provider, and individual health care practitioners.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS + SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- “Pharmacists Must Identify and Resolve Red Flags in Dispensing Controlled Substances”, New York State Pharmacist Century II, official publication of the Pharmacists Society of the State of New York Vol 93, Issue 3 (July 2019)
- Co-author of “Pharmacists Must Identify and Resolve Red Flags in Dispensing Controlled Substances”, Harris Beach Legal Alert March 2019
- Lectures frequently on cutting edge issues on the interface of science and law, managed health care, risk management, medical monitoring claims and defending class actions.
- Published extensively in U.S. Pharmacist, Journal of Pharmaceutical Marketing and Management,
Drug Information Journal, For the Defense, Pharmacy Law Annual, and numerous law and pharmacy journals.
- Presented at American Society of Pharmacy Law annual meeting, on ““Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs: Solution to the Opioid Epidemic?" Scottsdale, AZ., November 3, 2017.
- Presented at American Society of Pharmacy Law annual meeting, on “Putting the Nutritional Supplement Industry to the Test – Looking for Transparency” Austin, TX., November 11, 2016.
- Authored a chapter in Medical Legal Aspects of Prescribing During Pregnancy based on his experience in defending birth defect claims in the Bendectin litigation.
- Served as an editorial review board member for The Pharmacy Law Annual and as a peer reviewer for
U.S. Pharmacist and Journal of Pharmacy Practice.
- Presenter of “Putting the Nutritional Supplement Industry to the Test” in July 2015 Berkley Life Science webinar.
- Co-author of “FDA Taking Hands-Off Approach to Oversight of Low-Risk Medical Devices,” Harris Beach Legal Alert (February 9, 2015).
- Co-author of “Pharmaceutical Update: FDA Guidance on Drug Compounding and Outsourcing Facilities,” Harris Beach Legal Alert (September 22, 2014).
- Co-author of “Scales Tip in Favor of Generic Manufacturers Post-Mensing,” American Society for Pharmacy Law, Rx Ipsa Loquitur (February 2012).
- Co-authored “Mensing Changes Landscape for Generic Drug Manufacturers,” New York Law Journal (April 23, 2012).