Lana focuses her trial-level practice on high-stakes commercial disputes. She has successfully litigated claims involving breach of fiduciary duty in the corporate context as well as relating to investment and management of trust assets, claims for breach of contract, and fraud-based claims. Lana has litigated numerous contract disputes arising out of asset purchase agreements, stock purchase agreements, vendor agreements, transactions to purchase life insurance policies on the secondary market, employment agreements and oil and gas leases, including disputes over easements. She also routinely handles Article 78 proceedings. Lana has represented clients in such industries as financial services, energy, life settlements, health care, telecommunications, food and beverage manufacturing and payroll services. Lana has extensive experience with emergency applications for relief as well as dispositive motions and motions to resolve discovery disputes. She also advises clients who are litigating disputes governed by New York in foreign jurisdictions, including in international court proceedings and arbitrations.
Lana has substantial experience resolving disputes early as well as seeing cases through arbitration or trial. She also has considerable appellate experience, having briefed and argued cases at the Appellate Division level throughout the state, as well as before the New York Court of Appeals. She is a co-author of the New York Appellate Practice treatise, published by LexisNexis, and, in addition to handling appeals, consults on appeals and motions for leave handled by other attorneys. She has been a frequent speaker on both trial and appellate issues for Monroe County Bar Association and New York State Bar Association CLE programs, and has handled several pro bono criminal appeals.
Prior to joining Harris Beach, Lana worked in the New York City office of Ropes & Gray LLP, where she represented companies in the financial, health care, and pharmaceutical industries in federal and state civil matters, as well as investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission and other governmental agencies.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS + SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Monroe County Bar Center for Education, Appellate Division Rule Changes and How They Affect Practice at the Appellate Division, Fourth Department (November 2018)
- New York Appellate Practice, treatise published by LexisNexis, co-author (2012-present)
- The Knowledge Group, Why It is Advantageous to Use Appellate Attorneys for Cases on Appeal LIVE Webcast, Speaker (August 2017)
- Monroe County Bar Center for Education, Applications for Emergency Relief in State and Federal Court, Chair (April 2017)
- New York State Bar Association, Meet the Justices of the Fourth Department, Panel Member (November 2016)
- Monroe County Bar Center for Education, Appeals in New York State Courts, Chair (March 2016)
- Monroe County Bar Center for Education, Lifecycle of a Lawsuit: Appeals, Co-Chair and Speaker (November 2014)
- New York State Bar Association, Surrogate’s Court Discovery Proceedings: How to Fight Them and How to Avoid Them, Speaker (June 2014)
- Monroe County Bar Center for Education, Lifecycle of a Lawsuit: Dispositive Motions, Chair and Speaker (May 2014)
- Monroe County Bar Center for Education, Lifecycle of a Lawsuit: Pleadings, Chair and Moderator (February 2014)
- Monroe County Bar Center for Education, Evidence Institute: Real & Demonstrative Evidence, Moderator (November 2013)