Taylor Ventre advises public and private employers in all areas of labor and employment law, and comes to Harris Beach with experience in employment litigation and counseling as well as domestic relations law. As an associate with a firm in Massachusetts, Taylor investigated complaints of discrimination filed against healthcare system entities and other clients. In that role she was responsible for drafting position statements to the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD) and the National Labor Relations Board. Taylor also represented clients at investigative conferences before the MCAD, where she successfully obtained lack of probable cause findings and case dismissals.
Taylor counsels public and private entities on labor and employment developments related to New York state’s legalization of adult-use marijuana. This includes developing legally-compliant drug-free workplace policies and conducting training regarding the impacts of marijuana legalization on the workplace. She is a frequent speaker on cannabis-related employment topics and regularly publishes articles about employer-based legislative updates.
While attending law school, Taylor served as a student attorney with the Cumberland Legal Aid Clinic in Portland, Maine, the York County District Attorney in Alfred, Maine and the Pine Tree Legal Assistance Family Law Department in Portland, Maine.
As an undergraduate, she played lacrosse, serving as the Mercyhurst Team Captain, earning All-Conference Honors and making the Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association Academic Honor Roll.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS + SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- “Greater Rochester Cannabusiness Panel – Capitalizing on the Cannabis Economy,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, May 12, 2022.
- “NLRB General Counsel Aims to Drastically Change Employers’ Rights Related to “Captive Audience” and Other Mandatory Meetings About Unionization,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, April 8, 2022.
- “Update on the NYS HERO Act: COVID-19 Designation Ends,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, March 21, 2022.
- “U.S. Supreme Court Stays Enforcement of OSHA’s COVID-19 Vaccine-or-Test Mandate, while Upholding Vaccine Mandate for Healthcare Workers,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, January 14, 2022.
- “NYS Mask Mandate Effective Dec. 13, 2021: What Businesses Need to Know,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, December 15, 2021.
- “NYSDOL Issues Guidance Regarding the Legalization of Cannabis and the Workplace,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, October 31, 2021.
- “Harris Beach Attorneys Featured in Adult-Use Marijuana Articles,” Harris Beach News, April 2021.
- “New York State Legalizes Recreational Use of Marijuana,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, April 2021.
- “High at Work? Key Considerations for NYS Employers Regarding Legal Adult-Use Marijuana,” Harris Beach Podcast, March 2021.
- “NYS DOL Cancels Unemployment Insurance Charges Until Further Notice,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, February 2021.
- “New York Law Requires Gender-Neutral Single-Occupancy Bathrooms in School Districts and BOCES,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, January 2021.
- “The State of Cannabis in New York,” Harris Beach Podcast, October 2020.
- “U.S. Department of Labor Issues Revised FFCRA Regulations,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, September 2020.
- “New York District Court Vacates Portions of FFCRA Regulations,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, August 2020.
- “U.S. DOL Releases New Optional-Use FMLA Forms; Requests Public Input on Existing FMLA Regulations,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, July 2020.
- “Supreme Court Rules that Title VII Protects Workers from Discrimination on the Basis of Sexual Orientation and Transgender Status,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, June 2020.
- “New York State Issues Guidance for Third Phase of COVID-19 Reopening,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, June 2020.
- “U.S. Department of Education Issues Final Title IX Regulations for Victims of Sexual Misconduct,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, May 2020.
- “New Guidance for Health Care Employees Regarding New York’s COVID-19 Sick Leave,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, May 2020.
- “NLRB Scales Back "Quickie Election" Rules,” Harris Beach Legal Alert, December 2019.
- “Developments in New York State Labor and Employment Law – What You Need to Know in 2020,” Harris Beach Podcast, December 2019.
- “1-2-3s of THC – What you need to know about marijuana in the workplace,” MassHire Berkshire Career Center North Adams, Mass., June 2019.