Harris Beach represents patent owners and accused infringers in patent litigation throughout the United States. We represent corporations with a full range of services, including writing and responding to cease-and-desist letters, negotiating licenses, and taking cases through trial.
- Representing patent owners and accused infringers in all phases of litigation in U.S. District Court: pleading, claim construction (interpretation of patent claim language), expert discovery, summary judgment, trial and appeals
- Issuing freedom to operate opinions, including analysis of existing patents in clearing a design
- Issuing infringement opinions, including analysis of competitors’ products
- Issuing validity opinions for competitors’ patents to determine whether to challenge those patents
- Negotiating and drafting patent licenses
VALIDITY OF PATENTS
- Filing reexamination requests with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) to have the USPTO reassess the validity of a competitor’s patent
- Petitioning the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) for inter partes review to challenge the validity of competitor’s patent
- Representing patent owners in inter partes review to defend the validity of their patents
- Greatbatch Ltd. v. AVX Corp. et al. (U.S. District Court, D. Del. 2019): Represented patent owner in patent infringement action over key components for pacemakers and implantable defibrillators. Jury verdicts found infringement of three U.S. Patents, and awarded lost profits and price erosion. Judgment on the jury verdict exceeded $27 million in damages.
- Izzo Golf, Inc. v. King Par Golf, Inc. (W.D.N.Y.): Obtained a jury verdict on behalf of a patent owner for damages and a finding of willful infringement, and an award of attorney’s fees, punitive damages, and interest, ultimately totaling approximately $12 million
- Daneshvar v. Kipke and NeuroNexus Technologies, Inc. (E.D. Mich.): Successfully defended an inventor of patented neural probes and his company against claims by a former student to be a co-inventor
- Geomembrane Technologies Inc. v. RPS Engineering Corp. et al. (C.D. Cal.): Represented a Canadian manufacturer of water basin covers in patent litigation over a wastewater treatment plant project. Harris Beach obtained a beneficial settlement on behalf of its client, the patent owner.
- Redcom Laboratories v. Cisco Systems: Represented a patent owner and obtained a multimillion-dollar settlement of patent infringement claims involving telephone switching equipment
- Vaughn Co. v. Global Bio-Fuels Technology, LLC and Richard Behnke (N.D.N.Y.): Represented a defendant accused of infringement and obtained summary judgment rejecting all patent infringement allegations by the defendant’s former employer and dismissal of all other claims
- Dynamic Advances v. Apple Inc (N.D.N.Y.): Served as local counsel for university and its licensee asserting patent infringement claims against Apple